"I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train."
Oscar Wilde

Sunday 17 October 2010

Quick Updates

I experienced a local, Khmer club with some of the Narin boys (the guys who work at the guesthouse) on Friday night. After an amazingly cheap seafood dinner and many jugs of beer we headed to the bar, named DR Bar. There were no other westerners in sight. I felt like the famous English model that Nina enjoyed telling people I was, so very "long" (as my class would say), bobbing around in a sea of dark heads and polite, shy smiles. A lot of the places I’ve been out at in Phnom Penh, (and more so in Siem Reap), have been full of westerners. But this was a real Khmer party...amazing fun!

Saturday I spent as I would do at home. After a lie in I found my new favourite place in Phnom Pehn, called The Shop. Here I had a pot of English Breakfast Tea and a crumpet. Cambodia can't take the English girl out of me! I sat and wrote and it was lovely. Street 240 is lined with boutique shops, which I spent the afternoon lazily wondering around. Saturday evening we went for a fancy dinner and out to "Candy Bar" and "Riverhouse". Candy Bar was a strange experience, more girls working there than customers (which basically consisted of men on their own). I’ve never had my skin pinched or hair fondled by so many girls! They all hope to have babies that look just like me apparently.

I'll put up some more photos of Pheom Penh this week. (And if anyone is interested I have a lot more of the incredible Angkor Wat and temples of Siem Reap). I know there’s a problem with the blog as people don’t seem to be able to comment. You can always e-mail me: alice.moore_33@hotmail.co.uk. I’d like to hear from you anyway. This week there is a film festival on in Phnom Pehn so hopefully I will catch some films. A new volunteer is also starting at The Library, which is amazing for me! She’s lovely. It's been great that people keep coming and going here because my experience is constantly changing. I thought I'd hate that but actually I love it. And I hope to have some amazing Cambodian eating experiences with some local people I've met. I want to eat taranchula. Also, this weekend I am taking Friday off and going to Kampot for a long weekend with a few of the girls. That should be good...

How is everyone back home? I have a cold…shocking in this heat! However, it has got cooler now as it rains all the time. We've been having epic storms, power cuts and I had to stop teaching because the rain was so loud I couldn't hear anything. The water is rising around The Library...
XXXXX

1 comment:

  1. Another interesting read! Hopefully the water level hasn't risen too high and you can continue teaching....By contrast, the weather in good old Blighty is bright, sunny and there is a distinctive autumn chill in the air. Tonight we have lit a log fire and feel very cosy. Very different for you...keep on writing!
    Love Jane

    ReplyDelete